WannaCry ransomware has created terror across the world. Companies belonging to different industries are trying to improve security by updating software and operating system. In just a few days, it has affected over 2,30,000 computers in 150 countries.
To improve your understanding about this ransomware, you need to ask important questions, such as:
- How WannaCry ransomware started?
- How WannaCry can affect your business?
- How it is spreading across the globe?
While WannaCry is being discussed on almost all major news websites and channels, it needs no introduction. I am sure most of you understand what WannaCry is, so let’s just skip the basic details and understand it in detail.
How it began?
- WannaCry uses EternalBlue Exploit and DoublePulsar backdoor which is believed to be developed by U. S. National Security Agency (NSA), which spreads through local networks and remote hosts.
- When news about EternalBlue surfaced, Microsoft released a patch to make sure Server Message Block (SMB) is secure.However, most businesses were still running old Windows as regular updates may hamper their software setup.
- WannaCry is spreading quickly through file sharing system. So if one computer is infected, it is likely that every computer on the corporate network is going to be affected.
Who is safe from WannaCry?
WannaCry ransomware affects only computers running Windows. So Linux and Mac OSusers can take a sigh of relief as they are saved from the threat. Furthermore, mobile operating systems like Android and iOS are also saved from the threat.
Note – If you are among 2,30,000 people who got affected by WannaCry, do not pay the ransom. Although shortly after WannaCry began spreading, a researcher discovered a kill switch. However, the kill switch proved to be ineffective.
- WannaCry ransomware first emerged in Europe and the worst hit nations are Russia, Ukraine, India, and Taiwan
- Attackers till now have received 238 payments in bitcoin, which is around USD 72,144.76.
- The attack affected National Health Service Hospital in England and Scotland which included 70,000 devices- Computers, MRI Scanners, Blood storage refrigerator, etc.
- Nissan Motors Manufacturing in the UK halted their production line after WannaCry affected their system.
- Renaults also stopped production at many sites to reduce the spread of the malware.
Businesses will always face security issues if they use old versions of the software. The problem arises when an update may hamper the custom software deployed on the computer. To overcome this problem, businesses can choose to install only important security updates and discard general updates.
- Make sure you use genuine software and receive security updates
- Make a policy to backup important data weekly or monthly
- Turn off images in email and always scan email attachments for virus.
Disclaimer: The Blog has been created with consideration and care. We strive to ensure that all information is as complete, correct, comprehensible, accurate and up-to-date as possible. Despite our continuing efforts, we cannot guarantee that the information made available is complete, correct, accurate or up-to-date. We advise – the readers should not take decisions completely based on the information and views shared by Geton Webs on its blog, readers should do their own research to further assure themselves before taking any commercial decision. The 3rd party trademarks, logos and screenshots of the websites and mobile applications are property of their respective owners, we are not directly associated with most of them.
#logodesign , #ecommerce , #wordpress , #cms, #ppc , #freelance, #webdevelopment, #androidapps, #iosapps, #mobileappsdevelopment, #googlerankings, #shopify, #themedevelopment, #google, #googleregistration, #Emailmarketing, #logodesigning, #bannerdesign, #flashwebsite, #softwaredevelopment, #getonwebs.
Skype :- getonwebs, Email :- firstname.lastname@example.org , Website :- www.getonwebs.com